Sunday, July 8, 2007

MISTAKE - overoptismtic design

We started the assembly today with 3 of the cabinets that will make my hallway pantry. They went together pretty easily with only one mistake: I hammered in the dowels into the wrong hole.

The assembly went very fast and was quickly followed by a sob session by me when we discovered that they will not fit in their niche.

I made a BIG mistake but it was way back in the design phase. I love the look of wall to wall custom cabinets and that is what I wanted for this back hall. I just didn't realize how much the walls lean around here. There is only 89" for my 90" of cabinets. I should have realized this and ordered 2 36" cabinets and trimmed them out to look like a large hutch. My husband thinks we should keep two of them and then either put shelves down the center or on either end.

I think it will work out and we will only be stuck with one assembled cabinet frame that can't be returned.

It is just that I had a walk-in pantry before this and I really wanted as much space covered with doors as I could get.

No comments: